Elliptical Exercise Machines Let You Train and Ride
|ElliptiGO- hybrid of bicycle and elliptical trainer|
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher
One problem with exercise equipment is that people quickly lose interest. Workouts can become boring. Treadmill machines often include a video screen so that you can watch TV or even simulated scenery as you exercise to help hold your interest. Some stationary bikes include a video screen and resistance control to simulate riding a specific route, making the workout more interesting. ElliptiGO and StreetStrider take your workout to an entirely new place- moving down the street on an elliptical exerciser. Which is the best elliptical cycle?
ElliptiGO Elliptical BicycleElliptiGO is an elliptical exercise machine with wheels that actually moves while you are exercising. Like an elliptical exerciser, you use the ElliptiGO in an upright, standing position. Riding around on an ElliptiGO would attract some attention- this is an unusual looking machine. It sort of reminds me of an elongated Segway HT with elliptical pedals.
ElliptiGO is a cross between bicycle and elliptical exerciser. It has brakes activated by hand levers similar to brakes on a mountain bike. ElliptiGO uses handle bars for steering and has gears to make climbing hills easier. You can get 3, 8, or 11 speeds depending on the ElliptiGO model you choose. If you plan to ride on hills, the 8 and 11 speed models are recommended.
ElliptiGO is designed to provides a serious cardiovascular workout as well as an interesting riding experience. Most people interested in ElliptiGO are focused on getting intense exercise and finding an alternative to running. Since ElliptiGO works like an elliptical exercise machine, it is easier on feet, knees, and hips than running.
Since ElliptiGO has 2 wheels, you'll need to balance it, similar to riding a bicycle or scooter. The standing position while riding an ElliptiGO allows you to use your whole body to propel you up hills- sort of like standing up while riding a bicycle to climb a steep hill. Weighing in at about 40 pounds, ElliptiGO is fairly heavy compared with road bikes. ElliptiGO can reach speeds of 15-25 mph.
You can use ElliptiGO with a stationary trainer- this allows you to use ElliptiGO indoors during winter months as a traditional elliptical trainer.
ElliptiGO models are priced ranging from about $1799 - $3000, depending on model.
ElliptiGO models include the 11R, 8C, and 3C.
Manufacturer website: http://www.elliptigo.com/
StreetStrider Elliptical Cycle
|StreetStrider- hybrid of cross-country ski machine and tricycle|
Image Courtesy of FitnessFreakLA by CC-SA3.0
StreetStrider provides a cross country ski machine workout on a stand-up trike. StreetStrider has 2 wheels in front and one rear wheel. The 3 wheel design virtually eliminates the need to balance, and you can come to a complete stop without putting your feet down.
Unlike ElliptiGO, you pump your arms in addition to your legs to propel StreetStrider. But how do you steer StreetStrider? The answer is lean to steer. You shift your body weight to the left or right to make StreetStrider turn. That way you can keep pumping your arms, even in turns.
StreetStrider weighs about 50 pounds, about 10 pounds more than ElliptiGO. Gear options include a 3 speed model (Sprinter 3r) and an 8 speed model (Summit 8r). Like ElliptiGO, you can use StreetStrider with a stationary trainer for indoor workouts as shown in the picture above.
The StreetStrider 8 speed model is priced starting at about $1800.
Manufacturer website: http://www.streetstrider.com/
A Zike step cycle looks like an interesting low-cost alternative to ElliptiGO or StreetStrider at around $500:
ElliptiGO vs StreerStrider: Which is the Best Elliptical Bike?
- These elliptical exercise cycles both look like a lot of fun and would be great for people who are looking for lower impact exercise than running
- If you are looking for an alternative to riding a bicycle for exercise, elliptical cycles are worth considering:
- A bicycle requires a seated, hunched over posture
- Recumbent bikes or recumbent trikes require a reclined posture
- Elliptical exercise cycles use a standing up posture
- With a stationary trainer, these can be used year-round indoors or outdoors.
- As with any exercise equipment the key question is- would you really use it? The ability to ride it like a bicycle seems like a nice feature.
- These cycles are fairly expensive. You could get really lucky and find one of these at a garage sale cheap.
- You could check craigslist for a used one. These are fairly unique, so the market for used ones may be limited, creating an opportunity to drive a bargain (maybe).
- Look for the best elliptical bike deals on eBay: