Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 45: Negotiate on hotel rates

Tip 45: Negotiate on hotel rates

I have been able to get a lower price on hotel rates by negotiating.  Here's how it works:  at the front desk, ask for their best rate on a room.  Even if you already have a reservation, ask for their best rate.  If they are trying to fill their rooms, they may offer you a good deal.  If the price they offer is the same as your reservation price, ask if they have discounts for AAA.  If they do offer a better deal than your reservation, they can easily update the price for you.

I have signed up for several hotel points programs.  These programs let me accumulate points on personal and business travel.  I have been able to use points to stay free in some pretty nice places such as downtown Chicago and Washington DC.  If you stay in a hotel, you might as well sign up for the points program and start collecting points.  It doesn't hurt anything and you might end up getting some points you can use for free hotel stays.  I hesitated to sign up at first since I didn't think I would travel enough to get many points, but over time I racked up enough points to get some free stays.

Obviously, the best way to save money on hotels is not to stay in one.  Buy if you are staying in a hotel, you might as well try to get the best deal you can.

***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts