Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 76: Get free checking, avoid bank fees

Tip 76: Get free checking, avoid bank fees

My bank- actually a credit union- has a program where I get free checking if I use my debit card as a credit card 10 times during the month.  Most banks offer some sort of free checking.  If you don't get free checking, you can pay $10 to $20 per month or more on fees.  It is worth some effort to keep the money in your account instead of giving it to the bank.

Speaking of bank fees, the one that bothers me most is ATM fees.  You go to an ATM to take out money, and sometimes a box pops up that says you have to pay a fee to get your money out.  For example, I wanted to take out $10 to buy some food at some food stands at a local event.  It was cash only.  My usual ATM was out of money due  to the crowds.  I walked to another ATM- this one was going to charge a $4 transaction fee.  That works out to a 40% fee to get my own money out!  Of course I didn't pay it.  The cost for the bank to run the transaction is  likely too small to even calculate accurately, yet they are charging very high fees. 

I like to keep some cash around so I am not faced with ATM transaction fees if a need for cash come up.  Also, if  you need to get money out using your debit card, it is worth the trouble to find an ATM that is in your bank's network and does not charge transaction fees.  You can also use you card to get cash at a checkout of a store as well.  You can buy an item and ask for cash when you pay with your debit card.


***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts