Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 80: The art and science of the store return

Tip 80: The art and science of the store return

Returning things to the store is sometimes a convenient way to get money for items you later realized you don’t need or that didn't work out for you.  The rules that stores have place restrictions on returns and can make it hard to get your money back.  Here are some tips on returning items to the store that you might think couldn't be returned.

When I was moving out of a house, I found some project items and building materials in the attic for projects I never got around to doing.  There are a few ceiling lights and things like this.  Although they were purchased several years ago, they were still new in the box.  I decided to try to return them to the store.  Of course, I no longer had a receipt.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the items ring up and I received a gift card for store credit for the full price of the items.  I was probably better off not having a receipt- most receipts for returns expire after 6 months anyway.  So the lesson here is that if you have new-in-the-box  unused items, you might as well try to return them.  Someone else can use them, and you can get a full refund, even if it is in the form of a gift card.

Another successful return was my cherry tree.  I bought a cherry tree at Lowe's in the spring and planted it in my front yard.  Trees from Lowe's have a 1 year guarantee, and I put the receipt in a safe place, just in case.  The summer was extremely hot and dry.  Even thought I watered the tree a lot, it dropped its leaves in August which is at least a month early.  I decided to give the tree a chance to come back the following spring before returning it.  Unfortunately, it did not leaf out in the spring and was completely dead.  I decided to take the tree back to exchange it, but during the year that had passed, I forgot where I put the receipt.  I should have kept it in the box with all of my other receipts, but for some reason I tried to put it somewhere special and lost track of it.

It took some serious effort to get a refund for the tree without a receipt.  The tree still had the tag on it, but they would not do a refund without the receipt- too many problems with returning trees to a different store is what one clerk told me.  I ended up bringing the tree in several times and explaining that I had a hole in my yard and that I wanted to get a new tree started.  No luck.  There was a way to search records for the purchase, which we attempted, but they needed the date of purchase which I did not have.  I was beginning to worry about the 1 year limit on the guarantee expiring.

After several weeks of working to return the tree, I walked into Lowe's with the dead tree and a shoebox full of receipts from Lowes.  Of course, I did not have the receipt for the tree, but I had tons of other ones from years of shopping there.  My point was that I was a regular customer at that Lowe's store location, and I had a tree with Lowes tags on it that I was trying to return.  I asked to see the store manager to go through my situation and the receipts with him.  The clerk recognized me and called the store manager.  After a brief exchange, they offered me a gift card with the full price of the tree.  I happily headed back to the nursery to pick out a replacement.

There are a few lessons to take from this story:  1) keep track of your receipts, 2) if you are returning something under warranty, don't wait until the last minute, and 3) persistence often pays off when trying to return something.


***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts