Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 81: Discount programs at grocery stores

Tip 81: Discount programs at grocery stores

One grocery store discount program I like is HyVee Fuel Saver.  When you buy certain items, you receive a discount for gas at Caseys or Hy-Vee gas stations.  For example, if you buy pumpkin bars, you might save 3 cents per gallon on gas.  The items that qualify vary all the time.  Since my car takes around 10 gallons to fill up, I can quickly estimate my savings if I buy a fuel saver item.  You can save money with the Fuel Saver program- the trick is not to buy things you would not normally buy.  I will sometimes substitute an item to get a discount- for example I might buy the pumpkin bars instead of cinnamon rolls to get the discount, but I don't buy more than I normally would without the Fuel Saver program.

The amount you can save depends on how many Fuel Saver items you buy.  I have received discounts of around 20 cents per gallon at times.  If you shop at Hy-Vee a lot, you can save some money on gas.  We buy some of our groceries at Walmart, which has lower prices but is a less pleasant place to shop and has less variety of some types of food items.

If you don’t shop at Hy-Vee or don’t have Hy-Vee in your area, see if you can find a different fuel discount program in your area that can save you money.

Another grocery store discount program I use to save money is a rewards program at an independent grocery store that is near my house.  You get a membership card to scan whenever you make a purchase and get points that you can use to get free grocery items each month.  One thing I like about this program is that you get points for everything you buy.  This differs from Hy-Vee fuel saver which only gives points for selected items.  Each month there are about a dozen or so grocery items that you can use rewards points to get free.  One month, you could get free orange juice and I did that several times.  This month, nothing looks appealing to me, so I’ll save my points for next month.

The price for saving at the grocery store with rewards programs is convenience and privacy.  The grocery store gets to track what you purchase and when.  This does not bother me that much, but you’ll have to decide for yourself whether privacy is a concern.  If you make your purchases using a credit card or check, it would be easy for the store to track your purchases anyway.  As for the convenience factor, you need to remember to bring your rewards card and have the cashier scan it every time.  This is not a problem for me- I just keep my Fuel Saver card and my grocery reward club card in my wallet so they are always ready when I buy anything at the grocery store.


***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts