Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 88: No more late fees

Tip 88: No more late fees

Late fees for paying bills late drive me crazy.  These fees provide essentially pure profit for the credit card companies and utilities that charge the late fee.  How much does it cost a big company if your check arrives a day or two late?  Almost nothing, but late fees can be $30 or more.  Plus credit card companies can raise your interest rates as a result of a late payment.  But wait, there’s more- credit card companies turn in late payment reports to the credit card reporting agencies, resulting in a lower credit score.  Don’t let this happen to you!  Your goal should be to pay $0 for late fees.

I like to set up my utility bills on automatic payment.  I still get a bill, but the money comes out of my checking account automatically when it is due.  This way I still get to see how much I need to pay and still have a chance to check my bill before the payment comes out of my account.
I use a computer bill paying system on the website of my credit union.  This way I can see the date when I last paid each credit card and other bill.  This helps me to notice if I have not received a bill and avoid late payments.

Many years ago, I remember once having to send a check by FedEx overnight to avoid a late fee on a credit card.  Now most bills offer pay-by-phone or electronic funds transfer options so you can pay bills at the last minute without paying rush shipping to send a check.  Some of the electronic payment options do cost a few dollars, but still much less than a late fee.

One common reason that people pay bills late is that they misplace their bills and do not notice that the bill is due in time to pay it on time.  With electronic banking, it is so easy to pay bills that I often log in to my bank account and pay bills within moments after opening the envelope.  When I am busy and can’t pay a bill at that moment, I have a special drawer where I keep all bills that need to be paid. 

Other late fees that I have seen are charged for returning rented or borrowed items late.  Library fines and late return fees for movie or video game rentals come to mind.  These late fees are usually much smaller than late fees for paying bills.  Still, it is easy to avoid paying late fees by keeping track of when items are due back.  I usually return rented movies immediately after watching them so I don’t forget and end up with a late fee.

A little organization can go a long way to avoid late fees.


***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts