Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 89: No more postage

Tip 89: No more postage

In the previous tip, I mentioned using an on-line bill payer system to avoid late fees.  Another reason to use electronic bill paying is to avoid postage.  In the old days, I would probably mail 20 or 30 bills per month, each requiring a postage stamp.  These days, I rarely need postage since I rarely mail letters.  The on-line bill payer system does not charge postage.  The bank can electronically transfer money to some businesses.  For the bills that must be mailed, I imagine that the bank gathers up all of the bills being sent to the same address every few days and puts them in an envelope together.  So the postage probably does not cost the bank that much.

The use of postage for personal letters is also declining.  You can use e-mail and skype for free communication instead of paying for postage to send letters.  I rarely need to buy stamps anymore
I do still visit the Post Office occasionally to ship packages when I sell items on eBay.  It is interesting that the internet is reducing my need for postage to send letters, but is increasing my need for postage to mail packages.  The good news is that I charge the buyers of eBay items for postage, so I am not paying for it anyway.


***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts