Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Gold Bond Lotion: How to Get All of the Lotion Out of a Bottle

How I Discovered Gold Bond Is The Best Lotion


Gold Bond Lotion- Gold Bond Ultimate
Image Courtesy of Amazon.com

The lotion I usually use is the free stuff that you find in hotel rooms.  Whenever I travel and stay at a hotel, I take a free small bottle of lotion every night and put it in my suitcase to bring home.  I ended up with a drawer full of free lotion, so I never need to buy lotion.  The cheap lotion is greasy and has a strong chemical smell.  If I get my hands near my eyes after applying lotion, it makes my eyes water and burn.

Cheap lotion also leaves something to be desired in terms of effectiveness.  It makes your hands slippery for awhile, but doesn't really make your hands soft or help if your skin is chapped.  But free is hard to argue with.  I would have been happy to keep using my cheap, free lotion until I accidentally tried Gold Bond.

How To Get All of the Lotion Out of a Bottle

My wife came to me with a problem.  She had a bottle of lotion with a pump dispenser.  The pump was not dispensing, and there was still quite a bit of lotion left in the bottle.  She took the lid off of the bottle and tried to shake lotion out.  Even that didn't work.  She wanted to know if I had any ideas to get the rest of the lotion out of the bottle.

There are basically four ways I can think of to go about getting all of the lotion out of a bottle:
  1. Use the pump tube to dip lotion out of the bottle- sort of like a dip stick
  2. Remove the lid and shake the bottle violently to try to get lotion out
  3. Warm up the lotion by placing the bottle in warm water and try to pour or shake it out
  4. Cut the bottle open and directly remove the lotion from the bottle
My wife already tried options 1 and 2.  Even after doing these things, there was still a considerable amount of lotion left in the bottle.  I considered option 3- heating up the lotion and pouring it out.  I could heat a bowl of water in the microwave, then place the bottle of lotion in the water for a few minutes- this would make the lotion less viscous and easier to pour.  However, I was worried the lotion would not be the same again after heating it up and cooling it down.  Also, I didn't know where I would pour it.  I though about pouring it into a Tupperware container, but that seemed like a lot of work.

I decided on Option 4- cut the bottle for direct access to get the remaining lotion out of the bottle.  I used a retractable box cutter and carefully cut around the edge of the bottle.  I left a "hinge" several inches long that was uncut.  This worked pretty well.  The bottle became sort of like a little treasure chest to hold the lotion.  You can easily open the bottle along the cut for easy access to the remaining lotion and press it closed again for storage.

Cut Lotion Bottle To Get Lotion Out.  Leave a flap along one side to act as a hinge.
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

How to Cut a Lotion Bottle to Get Lotion Out
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher



I would estimate that about 2oz of lotion was left in the bottle.  Since the price for a 14oz bottle is about $14, this amounts to about $2 of lotion that I was able to get out of the bottle.


There Was About 2oz of Lotion Left in the Bottle!
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher
Of course I tried accessing the lotion after I cut the bottle.  I opened the lid and dipped a bit of lotion out to make sure this woud really work to acces the lotion.  Easy enough.  When I rubbed my hands together, I expected Gold Bond lotion to be similar to my cheap lotion, but it was nothing like it.  I found that the Gold Bond lotion actually made my hands softer and less chapped.  Instead of feeling greasy and slippery, my hands felt soft and just slightly moisturized.  The Gold Bond lotion also lasts a really long time and only requires a small amount of lotion to make a big difference.



Gold Bond Ultimate: The Best Lotion

The specific type of lotion I tried is the Gold Bond Ultimate with Shea Butter.  I would feel more comfortable if it came in a camouflage bottle or something, but I have to say this stuff really works!  I think a good plan would be for my wife to use the lotion while the pump works and to let me have the bottles to cut open when she can't get any more lotion out of the bottle.






Copyright © 2013 Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

1 comment:

  1. Great method! I often have the same problem. You should look into a product called MyBotto. It's a bottle holder designed to prop bottles, just like the bottle pictured, upside-down so that gravity gets every last drop out for you. They even sell pump-saver caps for bottles with pumps that aren't good for standing upside-down.
    Check them out here https://shop.mybotto.com

    ReplyDelete

Recent Penny Pincher Posts