Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 13: Haircuts at home

Tip 13: Haircuts at home

One of the easiest ways to spend less money is to skip going to the barbershop and get haircuts at home with your own trimmers.  You can get a nice set of trimmers for around $25.  I haven't paid for a haircut in over 5 years.  At 5 haircuts per year at $10 each, I have saved around $250 with haircuts at home.  Not only do you save money on the cost of the haircut, but you save fuel by not driving to the barbershop and you save time as well.

I like cutting my own hair much better than going to the barbershop.  I cut it exactly how I like it.  At a barber shop, it seem like the haircut is a little different every time.  I also avoid the expense of the haircut and the tip.  I always found the tip part to be awkward.  Since the haircut was so expensive, I found it difficult to pay extra to leave a tip.  Since the person cutting the hair doesn't set the price, it is not really their fault a haircut is so expensive.  I would usually leave a 15% tip if I thought the person did a good job.

The only downside of cutting your hair at home is that the hair makes a bit of a mess.  I usually buzz my hair out in the garage and sweep up the hair.  When it is cold out in the garage, I use a bathroom with a linoleum floor that makes it easy to sweep up.

With practice, you can go beyond just a basic haircut with a single length.  For my latest haircut, I used 3 different lengths:  1 inch on top, 1/2 inch on the sides, and 1/4 inch above the ears and on the back.  Pretty sharp for a free haircut!

***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts