Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tip 12: Have less stuff

Tip 12:  Have less stuff

Having less stuff can actually help you spend less money.  With less stuff, there is less pressure for space which makes it easier to live in a smaller house and avoid paying for storage space to keep things that won't fit in your house.  With less clutter, you will be able to find and use the things you have easier- this can be more satisfying than having lots of stuff, but no room to use it.  Once you get used to having less stuff, you'll save money by not buying stuff.  Buying less stuff is also good for the environment since less resources are consumed to make and transport stuff.  How much stuff do you really need to be happy?

Even if you are not into buying stuff, you can still end up with a lot of stuff.  I try to save building material scraps, hardware items, and other things that are likely to be needed or at least that are small and easy to store.  If you find you have a lot of larger items around that makes it hard to do anything in your shop or garage, you might be better getting rid of some of the larger stuff that you don’t know if you’ll need or not.

So how do you get rid of stuff if you have accumulated too much?  I sell my extra things at consignment stores and auction houses.  This is a double win for me, since I get rid of unwanted items and also get some money.  Plus the stuff gets reused by someone who wants it.  Some things are not suitable for sale, so I donate to Goodwill or throw some things away.  I have also put items out on my sidewalk with a sign that says "FREE".  This is handy since I don't have to haul the items away, and also gives my neighbors a change to get free stuff.  I gave away my trailer that pulls behind my bicycle this way.  It was fun seeing the neighbor kids enjoying it since I didn't need it any more.

If your current amount of stuff is not making you happy, try having less stuff.  It is a lot less expensive than trying to get more stuff...

***~~~***

Next Tip
Previous Tip
TOC


Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts