Sunday, July 7, 2013

Kohl’s Credit Card: Get Kohl’s Cash and Kohl's Discounts

Kohl's Credit Card- The Key to Savings at Kohl's


Shows peeling to reveal a 15% off Kohl's coupon
How to Save Money at Kohl's
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

Kohl's is where most of the new clothes at the Pincher household are purchased because Kohl's has some excellent savings programs. Applying for and getting approved for a Kohl's credit card is the place to start to get all of the discounts and savings programs. You can ask to apply for a Kohl's credit card at a Kohl's store at the checkout. You can get approved on the spot and be issued a temporary shopping pass if you want to use your Kohl's credit card for shopping right away. You'll need a Drivers License or other photo ID and you'll need your social security number to apply.



Kohl's store at night
Use Kohl's Credit Card to get bargains at Kohl's
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

Kohl's Cash- Even better than Kohl's Credit!

A savings program with a name like Kohl's Cash gets my attention. Kohl's Cash is a special type of coupon that you get by shopping at Kohl's. You can get $10 in Kohl's Cash for every $50 that you spend. The Kohl's Cash is valid for a limited range of dates, typically 11 days. You can't use Kohl's Cash on the same shopping trip that earned the Kohl's Cash- the Kohl's Cash must be used on a future date.
One issue with Kohl's Cash is that it does expire. You must use it by a certain date, or it expires. I have had Kohl's Cash expire a couple times when I forgot that I had it, or simply didn't get back to Kohl's in time to use it. Since Kohl's sells many types of items from clothing to household goods to toys and even some food items like Keurig K-cups and Sodastream syrup, there is always something you can find that you need when you have Kohl's Cash.

Photo of Kohl's cash certificate for $10
Kohl's Cash- Free Shopping at Kohl's!
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher


Why does Kohl's give away cash?

Why does Kohl's give away Kohl's Cash? The answer is to bring their best shoppers back to the store! If you spent $50 or more at Kohl's, they would love to have you come back since you are likely to buy more. Your potential as a shopper is amplified even more if you have a Kohl's credit card to tap into to buy bargains at Kohl's.
I recently went to Kohl's with $20 Kohl's Cash to pick up a pair of shorts. I ended up with 2 pairs of shorts, and my wife got 3 shirts. All good deals, but we spent $50 on a trip to Kohl's that we would not have otherwise made. This is a good strategy for Kohl's, and it is also good for shoppers- I did save $20 on my shopping bill.

Kohl's Discounts: 15%, 20%, or 30% off!

Now for even more savings- Kohl's Discounts. If you have a Kohl's Credit Card, you'll regularly get mailings with a peel-off sticker that reveals your savings. You can get 15%, 20%, or 30% off. The discounts are a percentage off of the regular store prices, which already seem pretty good compared with department stores like JC Penny, Younkers, Sears, Dillards, etc.
The Kohl's discounts are sometimes good for one day, or sometimes can be reused for a couple weeks before they expire, I always have a Kohl's discount coupon tucked away just in case we end up at Kohl's. One downside of getting used to always having a coupon at Kohl's is that it just feels wrong to go to Kohl's without one.
When you peel the sticker from the Kohl's advertisement and get a 30% off discount, it feels like you won something. Getting a 30% coupon is significant savings and I try to have at least a 20% discount coupon in hand before I go shopping at Kohl's.

Photo of Kohl's discount coupons
Kohl's Discounts: save 15%, 20%, or 30%
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

Use a Kohl's Credit Card, Kohl's Cash, and Kohl's Discounts to Save Money

Here's an example of how using savings programs at Kohl's can save you money when you shop at Kohl's: I had $20 in Kohl's cash from a recent shopping trip to Kohl's to get clothes for my growing kids. I wanted a pair of shorts and my wife came along to help me find some that were not too embarrassing. I also had a 15% off coupon.
I bought 2 pairs of shorts for myself and my wife bought 3 shirts. Kohl's has lots of great stuff!
At checkout, the cashier will tell you how much you saved and it's printed on your receipt. For example, I had $20 Kohl's cash and a 15% off coupon. The cost was $53.12. I "saved" $93.89 with price discounts, 15% off, and Kohl's cash. My receipt lists this total saved, and the cashier circled it in red pen. I know the savings is somewhat inflated since almost no one pays full price, but it does make you feel good about shopping. I also picked up $10 more Kohl's cash that I can use on a future shopping trip.

Shopaholics Beware... Kohl's Bargains may be too good!

Kohl's is very good at offering great deals and getting you to come back to the store and see the great deals. They make it easy to charge on your Kohl's credit card- you don't even need to have the credit card with you. They will look up your account if you show them a photo ID and type your social security number in the credit card machine. If you have trouble overspending at stores, you may want to be careful. Kohl's got me to come in with $20 Kohl's Cash, and I ended up spending that plus $50 more!





Copyright © 2013 by Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts